After receiving a patent in 1901 for a machine which was capable of drying yarn, the Industrialist Georg Lensch built himself a large representative factory in 1912. The factory was designed by the Austrian Architect Karl Josef Benirschke (who studied in Vienna with Josef Hoffmann).
It is unclear what happened with the now factory between the first World War until the end of the second World War, but by 1962 it had been repurposed as the regional headquarters of the VEB Kombinat Textima. The Kombinat Textima was responsible for the development, production and sale of machines and equipment for the production of textiles, yarn, textile cleaning and laundry, as well as the production of spare parts and accessories.
With the dissolution of the German Democratic Republic, the Kombinat Textima was converted into the Textima AG before it was broken up and sold in 1996. The building – while “protected” as a listed monument – has since been completely gutted and is up for sale. As is evident from the photos, there’s not a whole lot to see in the now abandoned factory. Its been stripped down inside to the bare concrete and is waiting for a new life.